Mike

LOL! Glad I said something that seems helpful. And that you are beginning to see the RPG light! Can't seem to convince my C friends here are work!

As Booth said, VARPG is really a tool for creating Windows applications. It's probably not the thing you want for learning RPG, as things work differently on the PC, of course.

RSE is the starting point, I suppose, for working with RPG source. You have the option of using the RSE editor or the CODE editor, by right-clicking the source member and taking whichever one you want. (You'll need to have set up your profile and filters and all that gook first - check that help window you see when WDSC first comes up for ways to get help there.)

As for learning RPG, boy, it's been awhile. It might seem a little backwards, but there's a book out by George Farr and Phil Coulthard called Java for RPG Programmers, which might be useful as a kind of reference, as they show the equivalent code from both languages for various constructs. Available, along with Joe's books, at www.mcpressonline.com - go for the store link on that site.

There's nothing better, as a former colleague did, than to just sit down and type in code examples and run them and try some changes. It's time-consuming, but it works.

There are a number of RPG books at different levels at MC Press, too. Maybe some are already at your company site to borrow.

Others have said this, but you can get a lot at the iSeries InfoCenter <www.iseries.ibm.com/infocenter>. Once you've picked your continent and version, look under Programming for RPG. There are also links to a couple Redbooks there.

Finally, check out the RPG list at www.midrange.com - you'll get specific info there, and David will send you there eventually, anyway. <g>

Good luck
Vern