Thanks Colin and Mark.

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Mark Phippard [mailto:MarkP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent:   Wednesday, January 21, 2004 10:10 AM
To:     Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject:        Re: [WDSCI-L] Best Practice for iSeries Data Access

I would recommend going with J2EE standards here.  J2EE defines a standard
for connection pooling.  In your code you use JNDI to get a dataSource
object from which you can then obtain a connection.  Often, you will cache
the actual dataSource itself so that you do not have to repeatedly run
that code.

In your web application you define a resource reference for this
datasource which is basically just a name you want to give it, this name
is what you use in your code to lookup the data source.

When your application is installed in WebSphere or another J2EE server the
person doing the install has to "bind" that resource reference with an
actual connection pool that has been configured in the application server.
 This technique puts a "wall" between your code and the actual runtime
configuration of the connection pool.  It also gives the deployer
flexibility in how they want to manage the pool.  For example, they could
just define one master pool that they bind for all applications, or they
could create specfic pools for each application.

In your code you shouldn't have to know or care about issues like what
JDBC driver is used.  That information is configured when the connection
pool is defined and is on the "other side of the wall" from your code. You
just need to get and use a generic java.sql.DataSource object.

Mark