> From: Buck Calabro
>
> Windows drag & drop works great if you prefer a mouse, as does
> the DOS XCOPY
> command if you don't.  I use CL because I'm an iSeries guy at heart.  The
> point is that WF is not at all limited to the WAR file deployment model.

Hey, no problem, Buck.  My point is that this is not integrated into WF,
where it could easily be, don't you think?  No biggie.

> It seems to me that understanding how things work is the basic job of a
> programmer.  It took me less than an hour to figure out where things go.
> After all, programmers do it every day putting the appropriate
> RPG programs,
> display files, logicals, etc. in the right library, on the right system.
> "To the degree you did" took me under half an hour of looking at the
> directory tree.

If you already understand web serving and WebSphere and the IFS, I agree
that you can do what you're saying without a whole lot of work.  It's been
my experience that people who know both green screen programming and
understand the IFS layout of WebSphere are few and far between.  But you're
right, if you do know all those things, it's not hard to then to map a drive
or use WRKLNK or QShell or FTP or something to copy the files around.

> But it's already been served.  The JSP has already rendered an HTML page,
> which somebody is looking at.  The back end RPG program has been changed;
> the parameters to the API calls are different than the form on the HTML.

Users have to be out of the program just as they would on the green screen
if I were replacing the display file.  I was pretty clear about that: "At
most you
must shut down sessions currently using that application, just like you
would if you were modifying a display file."

> I'm not at all sure how to respond to this.  Above, I'm a genius for
> discovering the arcana needed to deploy WAS objects and here I'm a schlub
> expecting dreck and happy to get it.

This is not discordant.  You're a genius with low expectations.   I never
said schlub.  There's no good way to make our opinions even.  I obviously
have a vested interest in PSC/400, so it's hard for me to be objective.
Each person will have to decide on their own if doing what you're doing is a
reasonable thing to ask of an RPG programmer.  I'll leave it at that.