Another thing to think about... Along the same lines as Richard's comment:

By default, the query engine checks a certain number of access paths before
it stops looking.  This is controlled by a setting somewhere( my memory
fails me ) that may have been reset when you migrated to V5R2.  If it is
spending less time looking for access paths, it may have to build them more
frequently.

If that number is lower on the V5R2 system, you might experience an increase
of performance (maybe) by setting it higher.  It is possible that the query
engine just says "I've searched all that I'm allowed to search, so I'll pick
the best access path that I've found".

Here is what I found on the IBM website:  (I've heard that you can adjust
the optimization time to increase your performance in certain circumstances)

Optimizer decision-making rules
The optimizer uses a general set of guidelines to choose the best method for
accessing data. The optimizer:

Determines the default filter factor for each predicate in the selection
clause.
Extracts attributes of the table from internally stored information.
Performs a key range estimate to determine the true filter factor of the
predicates when the selection predicates match the left-most keys of an
Determines the cost of creating an index over a table if an index is
required. This index is created by performing either a table scan or
creating an index-from-index.
Determines the cost of using a sort routine or hashing method if selection
conditions apply and an index is required.
Determines the cost of table scan processing if an index is not required.
For each index available, generally in the order of most recently created to
oldest, the optimizer does the following until its time limit is exceeded:
Extracts attributes of the index from internally stored statistics.
Determines if the index meets the selection criteria.
Determines the cost of using the index using the estimated page faults and
the predicate filter factors to help determine the cost.
Compares the cost of using this index with the previous cost (current best).

Picks the cheaper one.
Continues to search for best index until time out or no more indexes.
The time limit controls how much time the optimizer spends choosing an
implementation. It is based on how much time was spent so far and the
current best implementation cost found. Dynamic SQL queries are subject to
the optimizer time restrictions. Static SQL queries optimization time is not
limited. For OPNQRYF, if you specify OPTALLAP(*YES), the optimization time
is not limited.

For small tables, the query optimizer spends little time in query
optimization. For large tables, the query optimizer considers more indexes.
Generally, the optimizer considers five or six indexes (for each table of a
join) before running out of optimization time. Because of this, it is normal
for the optimizer to spend longer lengths of time analyzing queries against
larger tables.