There may also be shops that have internal controls, procedures, and/or
audit requirements that allow security updates but not necessarily any other
updates without rigorous review & testing. Having a separate security group
lets them get those updates without scouring all PTF cover letters looking
for just security-related events.

Also, in my experience auditors have rarely questioned the application of
Windows updates but have almost always asked why we put on Cumes and
Groups. Unfair treatment IMO but at least with the sec PTF group you can
say, "these address security problems (just like the monthly MS updates)."