This is not necessarily answering the original/starting question but here is some more info on Java:

I think the discussion you have with your Java developer is because you can
not map the nature of the two environments.
Yes, they hardly map. I totally agree.
In java you will have a POM or
gradle import your specific versions of libraries -
Yes. That is mostly the way to go.
to java do not have the
signature issue and export *ALL is then how it works.
This is where the misinformation is starting. Java itself had no method of constricting access to anything in the jars. If the jars was on the classpath then it was fair ground for everyone. The OSGi framework (which is also the base for Eclipse and many application servers) has exactly that missing feature. You can restrict on a package basis what is available on the classpath and what isn't. Also starting with Java 9 there is the module system available. This has similarities with the OSGi way of restricting access to classes but is not exactly the same.
ILE on the other hand
tries to make service programs backwards compatible by the "export with
binder source". No such thing exists in Java.

Just a little Java education ;-)