Thanks D*B and Karl for your replies.

I also don't like the use of CHGCMDDFT, this is a problem I have inherited.

My current client has no change control system and so I have tried to
implement a standard using Scott Klement's BUILD command.
However there is a huge amount of legacy code which has no BUILD
instruction comments.

I would be happy to ask developers to insert BUILD instructions whenever a
program is being maintained, but it seems unreasonable to force someone to
do that if they are (for example) having to recompile 100 programs due to a
file change (especially without a change management system)

So my question was really: "Why does it compile on machine A but not
machine B when the Commands are identical"?
(or maybe why is one trying to create the program with DFTACTGRP(*YES) and
the other with DFTACTGRP(*NO))

Birgitta's reply was very interesting and helpful (as always) and so my
best theory at the moment is that the compiler is using the Proxy command
QSYS/CRTBNDRPG or the command it points to QDEVTOOLS/CRTBNDRPG and not the
duplicate I created.

I duplicated QDEVTOOLS/CRTBNDRPG into a library which is at the top of
QSYSLIBL and that is the one I changed the defaults on.

I expect that if I ran the same CHGCMDDFT over the real command, the two
systems would behave the same.
I'd just prefer not to do that.

And I'm curious to see if/how the compiler is managing not to use my
altered version of CRTBNDRPG.

best regards
Craig