Pardon my ignorance, Reeve, but why wouldn't a simple table of valid name/zip entries work?  SPS010 could just do a WHERE EXISTS on that table.

On 5/10/2020 1:34 AM, Reeve wrote:
My thanks to all who responded.

The structure of the data is a collection of ZIP codes grouped together and
referred to by a name (key). Lower Manhattan is covered by ZIPs
10004-10007, 10038, and 10280, so that name might be LMANNY. The SP
accepts a ZIP code and candidate name and returns "true" if the ZIP code
submitted is contained within the candidate name. SPS010('LMANNY','10007)
= '1'; SPS010('LMANNY','10008') = '0'. The name is a pure synonym; a
natural name won't work because there are so many weird combinations set up
by the business users.