On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 1:53 PM, Mike Jones <mike.jones.sysdev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't know if that editor has been compiled to .NET "Core" or not, but it
appears Microsoft's claim is .NET "Core" runs on some MacOS and Linux OS's.

Yes, but...

.NET is designed like Java and intended to be highly portable when the .NET
run-time is installed on the OS (like a Java application with the Java
run-time installed).

When you use the term ".NET" by itself, it generally means the
original .NET (which as of this writing is up to version 4.7.1) and
not .NET Core. The compatibility between the various entities which
either have ".NET" in the name or are designed as workalikes (Mono) is
kind of murky and complicated:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2016/09/26/introducing-net-standard/

https://andrewlock.net/understanding-net-core-netstandard-and-asp-net-core/

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/mt842506.aspx

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42939454/what-is-the-difference-between-net-core-and-net-standard-class-library-project

In short, Liam's editor might already support those other OS's.

If he was targeting the original .NET, I think it's unlikely that what
he came up with Just So Happens to be perfectly compatible with .NET
Core. Kevin Adler (IBMer who seems highly involved with, if not in
charge of, IBM's Python effort, and possibly other parts of 5733-OPS)
has stated on one of these midrange lists that if you have a .NET
application, it will probably be easier for you to make it work with
Mono than with .NET Core.

How well does the portability live up to the hype? I don't know.

I would think that .NET Core applications will be at least as portable
as Java applications. But for now .NET Core is new enough that I think
the great majority of ".NET" development out there is still for the
full (non-Core) .NET.

If Liam's editor were already Linux- and Mac-ready, I would have
expected him to highlight this on the project page, because that would
be quite an attractive selling point. The fact that he didn't further
suggests to me that it's not.

John Y.