John,

Personally, I see a lot of value with this stuff integrated directly into my RPG applications. My RPG code can interact directly with the spreadsheet, so it can take different code paths, for example, based on what it's finding in the spreadsheet and/or generate the spreadsheet differently depending on interactions with the user or database, etc.

I guess you could work around that by using an intermediate file. The RPG program does all it's interactions with an intermediate file, puts all the info about what it needs (data, formatting, etc) all into this intermediate file, and then you call a Python script (or native Java program) that understands all the data in your intermediate file and uses it to generate the spreadsheet... but this seems SIGNIFICANTLY more complex (by an order of magnitude) and provides more points of failure. ... and what does it gain, you exactly?

A much better solution, IMHO, would be a native RPG program to generate/read Excel. (I actually have one of these, but haven't made it available publicly)

As for Darryl's issues with not being able to figure out, seemingly, every single step (can't figure out installation, can't figure out classpath, can't figure out garbage cleanup, etc) Frankly this is because Darryl is a bit out of his depth. He's in a situation where he has to learn all of this for the first time for this project, and that's why he's having so many problems. I can't see how switching to Python would resolve that -- either way, he has to learn a whole new environment. In that case, he'd be here complaining about installing Python, learning how to import Python modules/add-ons, etc, instead of the Java ones.

The big disadvantage of Python, imho, is that you can't integrate it with RPG like Java. I personally absolutely HATE the Java environment, and think other languages like Python, Node.js, PHP are much better. But, I haven't seen any way to do the same level of interaction between Python and RPG as you can do with Java. You can't call a Python method from an RPG prototype, your RPG code cannot 'react' to things happening in the Python environment (or a native Java program, PHP script, Node.js script, etc) and that is the only reason I use Java sometimes for stuff like this.

Of course, in all cases, a native ILE-based implementation is always better, IMHO. But these aren't always available.