On 03-Nov-2015 14:32 -0600, Jon Paris wrote:
According to the IBM docs the following fields are defined in the
INFDS.

D FILE_NAME 83 92 * File name
D LIBRARY 93 102 * Library name
D SPOOL_FILE 103 112 * Spool file name
D SPOOL_LIB 113 122 * Spool file lib
D SPOOL_NUM 123 124I 0 * Spool file num
I needed the spool file name

The Retrieve Identity of Last Spooled File Created (QSPRILSP) API is often a good replacement for use of the Informational DS feedback mechanism.

and so used the one at position 103. But that just (most often *)
contains some weird combination of letters and numbers starting with
Q and has no apparent connection with any of the other information
recorded for the spool file.

This is not critical as I discovered that for my purposes the file
name in position 83 works just fine, but I just wondered if anyone has
any idea what the entry is about.

AIUI the name of the implementation-object for the spooled file will appear there; i.e. the member and\or file name for the file in the QSPL [QSPL###] library to which the spooled data was written.

** I did notice that sometimes it appears to contain the User Data -
and not the Q… stuff but I could never figure out under what
circumstances it did that as one otherwise identical runs it produced
different results.

Seems odd; maybe a problem\defect.? Even if the output was non-spooled per SPOOL(*NO), then AFaIK there would still be the database spool member implementing the request, thus still I would expect the DBF or DBM to be named there consistently.

FWiW: A couple of archived messages; Subject: automagic page heading routine:
[http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201204/msg00798.html]
[http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201204/msg00783.html]