You know, I wonder more and more what IBM's long term strategy with the
AS400/I really is.

Not to go all Trevor Perry on you, but in the context of long-term
strategy, it would be more appropriate to use current branding - IBM i on
Power. It appears to me that IBM's long-term strategy is reflected in their
divestiture of their Intel server line, which made it difficult to promote
the Power server line.

I suspect that IBM i on Power will get more investment in the next 10 years
than it got in the previous 10, just because the Intel group within IBM is
somewhat neutralized. But IBM i on Power is a very mature product line
which doesn't appear to require a lot of investment to remain relatively
profitable. Contrast that with the significant investment required to
support Linux on Power, and the investment required for IBM to capture
market share which was gained by "Cloud" service providers such as Amazon,
Google, Microsoft Azure, and others.