On 18 Sep 2013 19:23, A Paul wrote:
<<SNIP>> If I have a record as below

ACCT brch TYC yrm flag QUANTITY positive negative
234C 1 25 201312 1 144 144 255

How would I split it into two as below?:

ACCT brch TYC yrm flag QUANTITY positive negative
234C 1 25 201312 1 144 144 0
234C 1 25 201312 2 144 0 255

Basically the flag becomes 2 when there is negative value, and flag
is 1 when there is positive value.

Reminder: This forum, conspicuously, is for RPG concerns. SQL inquiries not specific to the RPG as the host language, are not inherently RPG-related; i.e. which host language, or even a need to use any host language, is inconsequential for many SQL inquiries. Even so, I am fine with continuing the discussion here.
But also... Please: "SQL question" is horribly vague, and is sadly, an unremitting subject line; used at least seven times in the past couple years :-( The actual topic could easily be clarified with something more specific in the subject-line [as I did in this reply], and generally also omitting the word "question", as most topics are inherently such.

Changing the one physical row into two rows can be done generically, as a data correction, but the given example\scenario is quite specific; e.g. presumably a row with FLAG=2 could have the same situation? I hesitate to provide [what I have already coded as] an apparent resolution, if it is likely to be demonstrated as faulty, due to other data-issues not yet alluded or explicitly mentioned. I inquire more about other possible issues with the data, later in my message.

And almost surely, the desired effect is that the QUANTITY should accordingly, reflect the value assigned to POSITIVE or NEGATIVE; i.e. in the new row generated with FLAG=2 for the given example, then QUANTITY=255 would be desirable, and the as-shown QUANTITY=144 would be *undesirable* for that new row? I expect the intended effect is instead?:

ACCT brch TYC yrm flag QUANTITY positive negative
234C 1 25 201312 1 144 144 0
234C 1 25 201312 2 255 0 255

If the QUANTITY is not set as I have shown just above [contrasted with what was shown in the quoted message], then the prior recommendations made in earlier replies to this thread to effect the correction of the NEGATIVE and POSITIVE values for an existing row, as set from the value of QUANTITY, would effectively corrupt the data if ever the procedure were run again [at least without some additional selection to prevent that]. More explicitly, if such an UPDATE were issued after the file was modified to effect a new row for a FLAG value '1' or '2' due to both POSITIVE and NEGATIVE having non-zero values, then both rows would henceforth have a value of 144 in their respective POSITIVE and NEGATIVE, thus having /lost/ the [apparently intended] value of 255. Of course, if the overall intent is, after finalizing data correction, to effect an ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN QUANTITY, then any concern about the [incorrect] value of QUANTITY might be moot... yet an even temporary data inconsistency is still best avoided in order to prevent accidental data-loss\data-corruption.

And given there are already such obvious data problems, whereby somehow the NEGATIVE and POSITIVE were not already separated into two rows, should one infer there could be other data errors that may need correction, beyond simply the given example\scenario [and an effective equivalent, per FLAG=2]? Specifically, is there concern for conditions whereby FLAG NOT IN ('1','2')? And should every key have a row for both flag values; e.g. assigning the NULL value for QUANTITY, and zero and NULL accordingly for the POSITIVE and NEGATIVE for any row that is generated for the missing FLAG? What about dealing with any rows that might already suffer with the condition of QUANTITY NOT IN (POSITIVE,NEGATIVE)? Also, FWiW, the actual DDL for the TABLE versus just some description of only the data type\length would be more appropriate, so a reader knows what is the column DEFAULT and its capabilities for the NULL value.

The initial intent stated in the OP was to re-represent the physical data. But because the new\added columns POSITIVE and NEGATIVE are /calculable/ [from other column values within the same row even], they might best be defined as expressions in the SELECT [and that is likely best encapsulated in a VIEW]. Again, if the column QUANTITY is to be dropped, then such a concern about the use of physical data versus logical representation of the NEGATIVE and POSITIVE columns would be mollified. And while the additional rows could probably be generated at run-time, possibly those should be a modification\insert to the physical data. The whole idea of the flag and the positive\negative is already suspect, as it seems simply storing a positive or negative value in column(s) would be complete without the apparent redundancy across rows and\or columns.

FWiW: Even if there should not always be a row for both FLAG='1' and FLAG='2', there still should be a CHECK CONSTRAINT to ensure that the value of the FLAG IN ('1','2') to avoid dealing with invalid values for FLAG in any [future] data corrections. If any other value(s) were supported for the FLAG column, then what would that imply about the values for QUANTITY, POSITIVE, and NEGATIVE? And after any particular data correction, another CHECK CONSTRAINT should be added to prevent that same inconsistency from being reintroduced; e.g. something like the following constraints [but for which likely dealing with the NULL value would not be required, per having defined the columns as not being null capable]:

alter table the_file
add constraint chk_flag check(ifnull(flag, '0') in ('1','2'))
add constraint chk_quant check(quantity in (positive, negative))
add constraint chk_quan2 check(
case flag when '1' then positive when '2' then negative else 0 end
= ifnull(quantity, 0) )
add constraint chk_posneg check(
case flag when '2' then positive when '1' then negative end = 0 )