Even if it did, the difference between keystroke by keystroke processing v. waiting for the whole screen before processing is a design element that can only be mimicked with 5250.

Also it is an entirely different design paradigm.

Here is an example: in 5250 we "validate" the State abbreviation, and send an error message when the choice is not right. In GUI the choice is always right because their only choices are listed in the drop down box, Its just different, and trying to make one into the other is akin to making ice cream in the oven and cookies in the dishwasher.