he's over thinking trying to make something fancy where if I was the next
programmer maintaining, I'd be cussing... "wtf are you thinking? we have
these things called CTDATA or external files, etc.".

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No - mercy ... please ....save me from compile time data ....
aaaarrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh

And what is worse compile time data with no array names on the data.

Sorry but I _hate_ compile time arrays with a passion.

On 2013-08-08, at 8:21 AM, Michael Schutte <mschutte369@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

D Array DS 7 CTDATA PERRCD(1) DIM(4)
D SubSet1 1 OverLay(Array)
D SubSet2 6 Overlay(Array:*NEXT)

**
hheader
HHEADER
ffooter
FFOOTER

Or...

D Subset1 Ds 1 CTDATA PERRCD(4) DIM4)
D Subset2 Ds 6 CTDATA PERRCD(1) DIM4)

**
hHfF
**
header
HEADER
footer
FOOTER

Sometimes, things are just over thought...

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Rory Hewitt <rory.hewitt@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

As a slight alternative, how about this:

D ds
D ARRAYS 28 inz('hheaderHHEADERffooterFFOOTER')
D ARRAY dim(4) Overlay(ARRAYS)
D ARRAYA 1 overlay(ARRAY)
D ARRAYB 6 overlay(ARRAY:*next)

Basically the same thing, but it intersperses the 1-char lookup values
with
the 6-char return values.

This also allows slightly easier-to-view formatting of the ARRAYS
string,
to show each ARRAY element on its own line:

D ARRAYS 28 inz('hheader+
D HHEADER+
D ffooter
D FFOOTER')