AFAIK, if you are calling an external program (extpgm on the PR) the parameters must be passed by reference (the parameters are pointers to the real data.)

If SCALELOGR is an existing program that you want to reuse then you probably need to wrapper it into a service program.

Or maybe create a UDF over SCALELOGR that specifies the correct parameter passing convention that matches pass by reference. (I'd have to go read the SQL Reference manual to be more precise.)

Or you could try in the SQL something like CALL 'SCALELOGR'(char('A log Entry',128)). Thought from your SQL it is not clear whether SCALELOGR actually does the write to the file or returns data to be written to the file. If the later, then forget the CALL.

Sam