As I understand it... The issue is not about if\when changes would be made to the layout\record-format of the files, but how the compiler chooses to define the alignment of the declared variables for the fields of the record format. That although the program created by one particular compile may have been verified [e.g. via debug] that the declarations were aligned as contiguous storage, the next compile might not also effect that same contiguous alignment, regardless that the files or most anything else about the source has remained essentially unchanged; i.e. perhaps only a PTF to the compiler has changed, which resulted in the different alignment of the declarative for the fields.

The following example I gave in a CLP to effect an implied contiguous alignment for use in an effective /array/ [though that code is untested because I have only v5r3, and of course CL has no actual array support, but the effect is the equivalent of an array]:

Regards, Chuck