I can not explain why, but I will suggest why that effect should not matter to the query. The first file [often called the primary file] of a query ODP is the /name/ of the query ODP. That ODP is properly scoped to the activation group; i.e. the name POSMVEP in library QS36F is identified as the open file member. The UNION query must open the other files in the query. All of the other files [tracked to the ODP] are closed by the Query feature when the query ODP is closed, whether they were opened for physical row data or only for their access path.

Even so, I do not specifically recall that effect; though I also do not recall that the other files should be [shown] scoped the same as the primary. And while that effect alone is of no consequence to the query for normal activity...

I might verify after ensuring that the ODP was pseudo-closed, that a RCLRSC issued in the default activation group has no effect on those open files. I might also verify after ensuring that the ODP was pseudo-closed, that a RCLACTGRP of a named activation group has no effect on those other open files if the SQL query program had been run in that named activation group; i.e. assuming these other opens were scoped to the named instead of the default activation group. If in either case the other files are closed, the issue would seem to be a problem, and would presumably be exposed by the effects from a re-use.

Regards, Chuck