Åke,

I suspect Nathan may be onto something here - is there any way in which you
can serialize (or should that be unserialize?) the processing, so that
there are no 'dead spots' in the processing.

Also, was this processing (using MQ) in place before the decision to use
XML? If so, what was the performance like when not using XML, but using
(presumably much smaller) non-XML messages?

Also, as others have pointed out, some MQ optimization can be done by
changing the logging and by ensuring that any Java processing is reusing an
existing JVM (or equivalent).

Finally, whilst XML has huge benefits, the size of the messages and the
'overhead' of all the non-data bit of the XML means that you can hit some
pretty major performance issues that you wouldn't hit if you were just
sending 'binary' messages. Is there any way you could have the ability to
send/receive messages in non-XML format and compare the performance?

Rory