But database doesn't expressly prohibit the non-query open

Hmmm, my statement does seem too general\overstated. However that the DB allows generally the non-query opens of database files with the /unsupported types/ I thought was obvious. All of the non-query opens for each of the commands OPNDBF, CPYF, and DSPPFM are for example, allowed without the CPF428A being issued.

However probably I should have been clearer in my quoted reply.

I was trying to emphasize that merely avoiding the external description was of no help in the proposed scenario. Because, remaining a non-query open [i.e. not being an SQL open by an SQL statement via ExecSQL in SQLRPG], the open would still fail. The database would prohibit the open, issuing CPF428A RC1, because the open was neither a query ODP nor was the "process large object fields" specified in the declaration for the non-query OPEN. There is no support for the latter in RPG [unless there is some undocumented interface like with C to enable that open option], thus the open would *always* be prevented by the database whenever the database open was requested via an RPG OPEN [implicit or explicit\UsrOpn]; full open or shared open, no matter, where the latter would fail instead with CPF417C RC6. Any mention of an open option that is unavailable to the RPG seemed moot for my earlier reply, but I suppose that would best have been explained, in order to have been clearer.

Regards, Chuck