Actually I have never seen programming like the one in XMLSERVICE:

XMLSERVICE is a BATCHJOB under QSYSWRK that when idle has a status SEMW
(waiting for a semaphore)

XMLCGI is a REST job (in my book) running under APACHE.

When XMLCGI gets a request it seems that all the processing is passed to
XMLSERVICE but not in one call, XMLSERVICE more acts like a service program
or command processor if you will. It has something with the semget,
semop,shmget, shmat, shmdt and ftok QC2LE API’s to do. Maybe Scott has a
better explanation?

<JonMessage>

perhaps this isn’t the right forum, but since we are discussing XMLSERVICE
and since many frequently writing authors and “opinion makers” are already
onboard in the tread, I found it right to post my findings and idea’s.

</JonMessage>

XMLSERVICE appears to be much a “project” like CGIDEV2, it has IBM
copyright written all over it, but as I read it, it is allowed to include
XMLSERVICE in your own “package”.

Since I already tries to consolidate and enhance a number of Open Source
projects into a common platform XMLSERVICE may be a way to also include
ZEND CE and thereby PHP and thereby create an environment and a common
ground where you can run RPGLE and PHP side by side.

In regards to JSON I have decided to intercept the result from
XMLCGI/XMLSERVICE and rewrite XML to JSON – this is a 20 statement rewrite
off/add to XMLCGI in the XMLSERVICE package and a couple of new sub
procedures to my project.

But the changes I will do to XMLCGI will be simple and general – I will
simply add a couple of more input possibilities and add an exit function
that has the %addr and %size of result set from XMLSERVICE, rebuild the
output buffer and shoot it away to the client.

The bad thing is that it creates an overlay – the good thing is that I got
it up and running in less than 2 hours.

The bottom line is – you can now use the power of XMLSERVICE scripts and
use the result raw, in PHP or whatever or you can use it in CGIDEV2 or
POWEREXT.