Mike,

When you use the O_TEXT_CREAT flag in the open, the call to open() should
have a fifth parameter: the text file creation conversion id. When you
specify 0 for this parameter, the data will be converted from the job
CCSID to the file CCSID (fourth parameter). Apparently things go haywire
when you omit this parameter (the documentation says that the fifth
parameter is required when using O_TEXT_CREAT, but it does not say what
happens if you omit it).

Joep Beckeringh