Thank you for your response Scott. I finally just "rolled my own" but here is the quote from the v6r1 ILE RPG Language Reference manual (chapter 10, page 228):

"The Y edit code is normally used to edit a 3- to 9-digit date field. It suppresses the leftmost zeros of date fields, up to but not including the digit preceding the first separator. Slashes are inserted to separate the day, month, and year."

Apparently this applies to a "numeric" date field and not a true date field, so I feel my confusion is at least somewhat justified.

Anyway, it's all good now.