From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2011 10:48 AM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Adoption of RPG OA

On Mar 12, 2011, at 8:48 AM, rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Just because there is a juicy comision for the "profesional" giving
the advise.
I had to laugh about this one. I can only assume that you have never been paid to write an article. I don't know anyone (myself included) who does it for the money. I can make way more per hour by taking a few shifts at Burger King or Mickey D's. Most of us do it because we enjoy exploring and sharing our experiences. I have also never been paid by a vendor for recommending a product in an article. In fact I have turned down commissions for doing so because it would have compromised my neutrality. I know I am not the only one of the writers here in that position.

As far as OA in particular - I support its use - I think it offers an elegant, and more accessible solution for many problems than the alternatives. I thought so many years ago when I was with IBM and first proposed that extensions be made to the kind of support offered by SPECIAL files. It has been a lot of years in coming but I'm glad it is here.

Not everything that is advocated by folks on this list or in articles, blogs etc. is driven by the $ - Maybe where you're from - but not where I stand.

Jon Paris