From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Needles,Stephen J
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:53 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: RE: Convert from free to fixed

Touche! :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of sjl
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:38 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Steve, Vern, et al -

Gary Kuznitz wrote:
"Hi Steve, I don't program in /free.
I need to convert a program that was
written in free to fixed format. "

I stand by what I wrote previously. From the statement above, it
appears to
that it is Gary's /preference/ to NOT code /free code, not that it was a

shop standard.

- sjl

Stephen Needles wrote:
I think that Gary is not the one you should fire...
it seems that Gary is just following the shop's standards.
The failing is the shop's management, they need to allow Gary to
broaden
his skillset.

So, sjl, if Gary worked in "your" shop...perhaps it would be you that
should be fired. :-)
I think the quotes that follow many of Birgitta's posts sums it up
best...
"What is worse than training your staff and losing them? Not training
them
and keeping them!"

I wrote:
If Gary Kuznitz worked in /my/ shop, he'd be fired. Yesterday.
- sjl

David wrote:
Would someone please say why one would want to do this?

Roger wrote:
It hurts just to look at it in fixed format.......
=