Hi, David:

Look at what parameters are being passed to this program, and how they are defined / declared.

Since OS/400 external CALLs to *PGMs always pass parameters by reference (or by address), it is very easy for this kind of problem to show up, for example, if the caller uses CALL / PARM or uses an incorrect or obsolete /COPY book for the PR specs for this program, and thus, the pararameter types / lengths do not actually match what the called program expects. Also, are the actual parameters passed in the correct sequence expected in the called program?

HTH,

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 9/20/2010 9:54 AM, David FOXWELL wrote:
Hi all,

I can't see why ErrorMsg and ErrorPgm are dependant on each other.
When ErrorMsg or ErrorPgm is modified, then the other parameter is also changed.

P Main B
D PI
D ErrorCode LIKE ( ERRCD )
D ErrorPgm LIKE ( ERRPG )
D ErrorMsg LIKE ( ERRLB )

D error S LIKE( ERRMG )

IF NOT MySP ( error );

ErrorCode = %SUBST ( error : 8 : 4 );
ErrorMsg = %SUBST ( error : 14 );
ErrorPgm = %SUBST ( error : 1 : 6 );

ENDIF;

Debugging, if I change ErrorPgm, then positions 11 to 20 in ErrorMsg change.

error = 79A
ErrorCode = 4A
ErrorMsg = 73A
ErrorPgm = 10A