Scott,

You didn't tell him about the FREE opcode . . .

<g,d&r>

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Scott Klement <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

Robert,

If your programs are running in the default activation group, you use
RCLRSC to close their files. Unfortunately, it's not a very
fine-grained command, it'll close everything at/above the call stack
level you provide.

If they are ILE programs, then you use RCLACTGRP to reclaim the
activation group that closes the files. You can have finer-grained
control here simply by running different programs in different
activation groups.

Note that these commands do more than just close the files. They also
remove the program activations. This is actually very important.
Remember, a file open involves data structures and other memory
constructs inside a program. If you closed the file in the database
without also removing the program from memory, the program would go
haywire the next time it tried to use the file. So you really have to
either close the file from inside the program itself (via the CLOSE
opcode or whatever.) or you need to close it at the same time that you
remove the program activation. Anything else would cause "unpredictable
results."