Jon Paris wrote:
On Jan 8, 2010, at 5:09 PM, Hans Boldt wrote:

I agree that enhanced SPECIAL file support would still be a good idea. I
guess my point is this: Does that really warrant all the hype that "OPEN
I/O" has gotten?

What hype? Unless I've missed it, very little has been said publicly.
Ian Jarman spoke briefly about it at the Summit and that attracted some
media attention in part because in terms of Open Kimono, IBM has said
very little about 7.1.

It has mostly come up in conjunction with discussions on boards like
this about how to web enable RPG.

Jon: I remember the hype quite well. At the time, there was a heck of a
lot of attention given to "OPEN I/O" in the blogosphere and discussion
boards, largely caused, I believe, by the word "open" in the name. The
fact that nothing specific was shown (Open Kimono?!?), I believe
contributed to a lot of speculation and perhaps wishful thinking about
what "OPEN I/O" might mean. Gradually, it seemed like people narrowed in
on the consensus that it might be little more than enhanced SPECIAL file
support, after which interest seems to have abated.

Cheers! Hans