Hello Michael,

It isn't record locks that are troubling, it's the file level
locks. And most of them don't have a cursor, such as :

C/Exec Sql
C+ Select * Into :FLRec From FlseFile where VinF = :VvVin
C+ And Dec(Substring(FlseFile.rd,1,12)) In (Select VVTripId
C+ From VVMaster Where VVTripId =
C+ Dec(Substring(FlseFile.rd,1,12)) And VVOwnr# In (Select
C+ EfEntId From EfDetail Where EfEntId =
C+ VVOwnr# and EfFeatCod = '*AASCIDCODE'
C+ And EfEffDat <= :DateN And (EfTrmDat > :DateN Or EfTrmDat = 0)))
C/End-Exec

They are just checking some features and loading some fields
before processing. I only use cursors when I am looping through
a list etc. Must I use a cursor here simply to end the file
level locks? And will that indeed do it? I can experiment of
course, but it takes time and potentially introduces bugs etc.

Thanks!

--
Best regards, Rick

Systems Manager
Dealer's Auto Auction of Okc
1028 S. Portland
Oklahoma City, OK 73108
(405) 947-2886
mailto:rick@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.nothingisreal.com/dfki/no-word

Mbc> Do you have a cursor? if so close it before going to sleep.

Mbc> Also will adding "for read only" help in your situation?

Mbc> example
Mbc> select * from file for read only

Mbc> --

Mbc> Michael Schutte
Mbc> Admin Professional

Mbc> Try Bob Evans GRILLING SAUSAGE! This summerâs hottest destination is your
Mbc> own backyard with Bob Evans Brats and Italian Sausage! For tasty recipes
Mbc> using Bob Evans grilling sausage, visit http://www.BobEvans.com/Recipes

Mbc> rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 07/07/2009 04:23:47 PM:

Hi everybody,

I have a number of NEPs that used to

1. Open files
2. perform all processing
3. Close files
4. Sleep for x minutes
5. repeat.

Since we have begun using sql, these programs maintain file locks, on
Mbc> those
files opened by SQL, while sleeping.

Since the program is not run by a CL wrapper, there appears to be no
clear way to relinquish the locks during the sleep period. The only
SQL option that appears to apply is the CloSqlCsr and it only supports
*ENDMOD or *ENDACTGRP neither of which ever occur. Am I missing
Mbc> something?

Thanks!