Of course everyone noticed the scrollbar, right? :)

Good point, Jerry.

What I do now is to place a protected input/output field with a default value of "(F4)" directly after the field. When a user double clicks the "(F4)" field with his mouse, the cursor moves to that field and an "Enter" is processed, so the program sees that the cursor is in the "(F4)" field and knows the user wants the dropdown list.associated with that field. The user can either use the cursor in the field, with F4, or use the mouse to get the dropdown list..

Two other features I've added is that since the dropdown list is usually a few items, I enter the first subfile line as input capable and blank, so a user can easily add a new item to the list. Secondly, if the dropdown program is called stand-alone (no %parms) then I have the entire subfile be input-capable so the user can add, change, or delete items easily.

Anyway, this process makes the entire dropdown selection process as a mouseable process, no key presses needed.

One other feature I have added has had mixed reception. On an entry field that needs to be validated I validate the entry field against the file. Instead of issuing an error message if the field is invalid I display the dropdown box, positioned to the entry lower than the invalid value. Some places users like it, and in some places they don't like it..

Jerry Adams wrote:
I have used Booth's technique a few times, and the users like it. The primary difference between the window technique and a Windows drop down box is that simply tabbing to the field in question or beginning typing does not open the list. I use a command/function key in the program and put forward the window list based upon which field the cursor is in (sometimes there are more than two lists available on a panel).
Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
--
B&W Wholesale