From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 1:16 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Scoping of procedure-level variables

No it's not. I'm referring to scope. It just so happens that scope is
pretty much inextricably tied to allocation: a traditional static
variable is typically in the program's variable space which is allocated
the first time the program runs (or from the heap for more dynamic
models), while automatic variables are typically on the stack.

By allocating in program storage or on the heap, the value stays intact
between program calls, which is what makes the scope static. Variables
allocated on the stack are by definition lost when the procedure
returns, and thus fit the definition of automatic.

The question that arises with multi-threading is how to deal with
thread-specific statics. Clearly they can't be allocated to a single
memory location like traditional statics, and yet they must remain
intact between calls. Thus thread-specific static variables must use
heap allocation.

Joe

I don't think so Joe.

With or without the STATIC keyword on a RPG local procedure variable, the scope (or visibility)
remains the same; It can only be accessed within that procedure.

Charles Wilt

This e-mail transmission contains information that is intended to be confidential and privileged. If you receive this e-mail and you are not a named addressee you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this communication without the consent of the sender and that doing so is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please delete and otherwise erase it and any attachments from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.