--- rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Jerry,

I apologize if I implied that IBM was going to do away with
the cycle. The main point of what I wanted to express was
that (IIRC) in V6R1 we are going to have the OPTION to have
a main module without the cycle, so there will be a flavor
of RPG for everyone - the No Cyclers, the Cyclers and the
in betweeners. Hopefully it will the end to these endless
discussions :-)

BTW, Sorry about the late post. I'm currently on vacation
in an island off Venezuela's coast (Margarita Island), so
my checking of the inbox is sporadic (climate of +32
degrees CELSIUS. Take that northerners!!! :-)

Regards,

Luis Rodriguez

------------------------------

message: 5
date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:58:11 -0600
from: Jerry Adams <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Need Some RPG Technical Questions

Luis,

Except when IBM adds a new RPG version (II -> III -> IV),
I have never
seen it remove things from the compilers. So, unless it's
coming out
with RPG V, I really think the cycle we have come to know
and love/hate
will still be there.

There has long been an option (NOMAIN) in the Header
specs to strip out
all of the cycle clutter. Especially useful for service
programs; I've
never tried to use that option for a "regular" program.
Hmmm...wonder if
that would work if one did one's own OPEN's etc.?

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Luis Rodriguez wrote:
Cycle, Cycle, Cycle?

It' doesn't matters, in V6R1 it seems we can do away
with
the cycle, and hopefully that will be the end of this
kind
of discussions :-).

On the other hand, the cycle is just another tool in
the
bag of tricks, and its use or not doesn't make anyone a
better or not programmer (or more virtuous, or
experienced,
or whatever). It all depends on the business problem at
hand and how you solve it.

(This from a old programmer, that has used (and
sometimes
still uses) the cycle and looks forward to playing with
cycle-less programs in V6R1).

Regards,

Luis Rodriguez

Luis Rodriguez