<snip>
I'm passing a qualified DS as a parm to a service program. The service
program populates this DS with up to 20 errors and returns.

I have stepped through the service program and confirmed it fills the DS

properly, but when I get back to the calling program, the DS is blank.
I do not have CONST or VALUE on the parm. It is the only parm that is
changed in the service program.
</snip>

Hope I am not being out of line here.

Not sure why you are having problems with your data structure but you
might consider an ILE solution to the problem.

Instead of building a big data structure, create a set of functions. One
to get count of number of messages waiting and another to get one
message. Instead of passing complicated structures that may break, you
are making single function calls and procedures are so fast, it
effectively makes no difference.

I have a standard error handler that I wrote that does just that.
Implements the following functions:

ERRH_Throw Throw an error.
ERRH_AddMessage Add messages to store.
ERRH_GetMessageCount
ERRH_GetLastMessage
ERRH_GetMessage Gets a message and removes from stack.
ERRH_FreeAllMessages Releases all messages.
ERRH_Rethrow Re-throws the last message sent to a higher
level.

This code is available on www.think400.dk/downloads under XVSRTQ. I
could also send it to you if you are interested.

Using big data structures to pass and return data is really a concept
from the monolith programming world that was predicated on the calls to
an external program being so slow you need to pass or return everything
in a big structure and that a program only has a single interface to the
outside world.

ILE and procedures eliminates that because you can break things down to
simple functions and you can make thousands of function calls in a
second.

Anyway, hope this was helpful.