Have to know "how they work" is exactly what the other side of the
argument is base on.

Sure, everyone should try to use the right tool for the job at hand.
But let's exam this phase a bit in an IT shop. Assume that the standard
framework that your IT shop uses to develop a web application is Struts
and everybody in the shop is familiar with it. Then, I come along and
say, well JSF is actually a better tool for my project and I'm going to
use this better tool for it. Then somebody else come along and say,
well, .net is actually a better tool on the project that he is working
on and VB is much easier to do some of the window base interfaces that
he needed for his project anyway. So, there he goes and use the .net.
Uummm... If your company is google, then I say go ahead. But for a
standard IT shop, using all types of different tools/languages usually
create headache sometime down the road.

Yes, RPG cycle is part of RPG. But not many RPG folks have good
understanding of what it does. If this is the case, then my next
question would be: Is it really that hard to create a loop without using
rpg Cycle? If the answer is no, it is not hard to do, then why would
you want to use a technology that most RPG programmers have abandoned.
If your argument is about matching record, select record, look ahead...
features in RPG cycle, Well, if you read the recent question that
posted about using RPG cycle to do record matching, you would know that
it took several tries from some of those experts to get it right. Some
even admitted that he has to reference the reference book to finally got
it. Then, the same question: is it really that hard to do record
matching, look ahead... without using RPG cycle?

I don't think anybody is questioning the phase of "right tool for the
job". The question is why use a tool that most people are not familiar
with if the job can be accomplished easily by the tool that most people
familiar tool?