Hi James,

<snip>
The things that define a language, programming or natural, are
vocabulary and syntax. The thing that distinguishes one programming
language from another, beyond those two fundamental elements, is not the
functionality shared with other languages, but that which is unique to
the language. For LISP, for example, it's the way it handles linked
lists. For COBOL, it's a syntax designed so that non-programmers can
look at source code, and easily understand what's going on. For RPG,
it's The Cycle, and the massive amount of data shuffling going on under
the surface, among other things.
</snip>

Hmmm...

The definition of a language changes as the language itself changes. I am
from England and I speak English (some would say fluently), but William
Shakespeare would struggle to understand me, and I him. To me RPG is what is
coming in V6R1 and I'm looking forward to that almost as much as Christmas!

I am currently training four new IT Graduate Trainees to appreciate the
beauty that is RPG. They are using WDSCi as their IDE, they are writing
EVERYTHING in /free and they are using subprocedures from the very
beginning. I will appraise them of such things as the cycle but I will
certainly not expect them to use it in our shop. To them RPG is what they
use now and into the future, not what other people used to use 10, 20 or
even 30 years ago. Once they are fully trained they will understand the
cycle but my time is better spent teaching them ILE concepts. If they change
their job and have to work with cycle code then they're already lost. Their
new employer can teach them the THEE, THOU, TWIXT, and SHALT opcodes. Their
trainer may well be called William and have interesting neck-wear. :-)

I understand that once an English word enters the Oxford English Dictionary
it can never be removed because it is officially part of the language, but
society deprecates words ALL the time. It is a natural part of cultural
evolution. It is USAGE not EXISTANCE of words which matter. the same goes
for RPG opcodes and constructs. We are fast getting beyond the point where
we need a name change and draw a line in the sand. I do NOT want my great
grandchildren to be gainfully employed maintaining RPG III code just as I
don't want them speaking in early '80s English.

Just my two coppers worth

Cheers

Larry Ducie