Paul,

Well, our experience applies more to .net than Java, but regardless the
same issues apply. As I understand POJOs, there is no functionality in
the POJO, it's more like a struct than a class. :) All functionality is
offloaded to other helper classes, be they things like Hibernate, or
custom-built class factories. If I understand it correctly, then we're
not really using POJOs, as our businessobject base class handles
database io and we've got business methods on the classes.

What you're describing isn't really a class as much as a collection of
fields. It's much closer to the Associative Data Model described by
Simon Williams (a founder of the venerable AS/400 case tool company
Synon, BTW), see (http://www.lazysoft.com/_preface.htm)

How do you put business rules into your objects? Say something like:

Database db = Database.GetDatabase("DBName"); //Loads database
definition from SQL table
DBBackup backup = db.NewBackup(); //Gets me a new backup.
backup.Type = DBBackupType.Full; //I want to do a full backup
backup.Run(); // So do the backup already
if (backup.IsSuccessful) //Did it go well?
//send a nice email
Else
//Set off alarms.

-Walden