<snip>
Is there any way in embedded sql to convert a numeric date to a date
data type?
<snip>

Try my iDate function at www.think400.dk/downloads.htm

If field had a date in the format of 20060701, you would issue the
following (Assuming the program is set for a default format of *ISO):

Select iDate(FILE.FIELD ) Into :pgmfield From FILE

If the date was in CCYMD, you would issue:

Select iDate(FILE.FIELD:'*CYMD') Into :pgmfield From FILE

iDate deals with numeric or character fields automatically and all the
following date formats and it's free.

*CYMD - Century Number (0 or 1), Year, Month and Day.
*CCYMD - Century, Year, Month and Day.
*MDCCYY - Month, Day, Century, Year
*MDY - Month, Day, Year
*YMD - Year, Month, Day
*DMY - Day, Month, Year
*JUL - Short Julian YYDDD.
*LJUL - Long Julian CCYYDDD.
*JDEJUL - CYYDDD Julian. Century Number (0 or 1) for J.D. Edward
folks.
*CYJUL - CYYDDD Julian Century Number (0 or 1).

More information in the readme.

Also, as a footnote, I found the other day that iDate is accepted by the
SQE. I had thought the SQL Runtime might drop back into CQE because of a
User Defined Function but it did not. It processed right through the
SQE!