From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
AGlauser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 8:24 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Naming Global Variables

Kurt Anderson wrote on 12/12/2006 08:44:28 AM:

Right now when I have a constant I try to either make it all caps and
use an underscore between words, or I do something like LBL_OrderNum
(which could contain a screen label).  The idea of prefixing with a
lower case c is appealing to me.  Possibly the g as well for globals.

I also use your current method of all caps for constants.

I know the use of global variables should be limited, and normally
they are.  If it's a good day my only globals are logic control of the

main (which could arguably have no logic control) and RRNs.

How would you structure a main() without any logic?  What if one of the
procedures you call in your main has an error?  Maybe I'm
misunderstanding.

If your only globals are logic control and RRNs, does that mean you
don't do many programs involving screen or printer files?  I've been
trying to figure out a good way of passing all of the screen variables
around between procedures so that, while they are technically global
variables, they can look less like globals.  Does anyone have any good
ways of doing this?

Thanks for starting an interesting discussion, Adam

Attention:
The above message and/or attachment(s) is private and confidential and
is intended only for the people for which it is addressed. If you are
not named in the address fields, ignore the contents and delete all the
material. Thank you. Have a nice day.

For more information on email virus scanning, security and content
management, please contact administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxx