Continuing education:

I am attempting to update a file (table) in embedded SQL in RPG, with
built-up variables:

     D UpdateOne       S            500A   INZ('Update -
     D                                     $AUDITSTG/SAVHISTORY ')

          // Define SET statement
          if JRFNAM <> #S3FNAM;
             Set = Set + ' JRFNAM = ''' + #S3FNAM + ''' ';
          endif;

          if JRVOL <> #S3VOL;
             Set = Set + ' JRVOL = ''' + #S3VOL + ''' ';
          endif;

          if JRSEQ <> #S3SEQ;
             Set = Set + 'JRSEQ = ' + #S3SEQ + ' ';
          endif;

          if JRSSIZ <> #S3SSIZ;
             Set = Set + 'JRSSIZ = ' + #S3SSIZ + ' ';
          endif;

          if JRNOTE <> #S3NOTE;
             Set = Set + ' JRNOTE = ''' + #S3NOTE + ''' ';
          endif;

          // update record...
          SelectTwo = Update + Set

//********************************************************************
       // $UPDATE - Update Current Record
*

//********************************************************************
       begsr $UPDATE;
      /END-FREE
     C/EXEC SQL
     C+  <------------ (What is the proper way to build this statement?)
     C/END-EXEC
      /FREE
       endsr;

I'm attempting to update only the fields that change. When I attempt to
use a variable, it says that the "Token" was not valid.

TIA

Dave