htonl() and ntonl() are for converting integers from host byte order (big endian) to network byte order (big endian) and vice-versa. Since host and network byte order on the iSeries is the same, these operations are no-ops. They don't do anything.

They are not even procedures, as far as I know!  They're C macros:

This is from QSYSINC/NETINET,IN:

#define htonl(qso_htonl) (qso_htonl)  /* host byte order to long     */
#define htons(qso_htons) (qso_htons)  /* host byte order to short    */
#define ntohl(qso_ntohl) (qso_ntohl)  /* long to host byte order     */
#define ntohs(qso_ntohs) (qso_ntohs)  /* short to host byte order    */

As you can see, it DOES NOTHING. Why would you want to call it from an RPG program? Wait... is this VARPG?

---
Scott Klement  http://www.scottklement.com