In our shop it is common to work with files containing anywhere from
tens of millions to hundreds of millions of records.  Our SQL
statements
routinely return more than 32,766 records.  I don't think it is
uncommon
to exceed this limit.  It really isn't that large.

I guess my struggle is why a program would end up processing that many
records. I know that databases routinely contain many more records than
that but why with SQL do you end up processing so many records? In File
I/O it could make sense because you have to read in records to see the
values (Assuming I am not using OPNQRYF) but with SQL, I select only
what I need. Not disputing what you are saying, just wondering why you
would need to process that many records.