Tommy,

Your example doesn't compare SELECT/WHEN and IF/ELSEIF.   It doesn't
include an ELSE or ELSEIF.

Your IF/ENDIF groups are intended to execute either TWO of the THREE
options or NONE of them.

If (A) , DO (A stuff) AND (A or B stuff)

If (B) , DO (B stuff) AND (A or B stuff)

IF (not A) and (not B) , DO nothing.

SELECT/WHEN and IF/ELSEIF are functionally the same because both are used
when you want to execute ONLY ONE of the options at most.
Making it the first WHEN means that the (A only stuff) and (B only stuff)
wouldn't execute either.

This would be the SELECT/WHEN equivalent to you IF/ENDIF groups.

select;
   when A;
     // do A stuff
     // do A or B stuff
   when B;
     // do B stuff
     // do A or B stuff
endsl;

James

|---------+------------------------------------------------>
|         |           "Holden Tommy"                       |
|         |           <Tommy.Holden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>     |
|         |           Sent by:                             |
|         |           rpg400-l-bounces+jamesmorey=pvh.com@m|
|         |           idrange.com                          |
|         |                                                |
|         |                                                |
|         |           05/25/2006 03:48 PM                  |
|         |           Please respond to RPG programming on |
|         |           the AS400 / iSeries                  |
|         |                                                |
|---------+------------------------------------------------>

<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>              |
  |       cc:
                  |
  |       Subject:  RE: Having both if/else executing at the same time
                  |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The only significant difference that I am aware of between if/elseif &
select/when is this:

In This example, each if is evaluated at run-time:
 if (A)
  // do A stuff
endif;

if (B);
  // do B stuff
endif;

if ((A OR B));
  // do A or B stuff
endif;

With select the when is evaluated until it finds the first match & skips
the rest of the checks

So in this example the "when A or B" would never be execute since an
matching true expression has already occurred.

select;
   when A;
      // do A stuff

   when B;