Ok, I gotcha now.  Sounds like something's getting caught up in the cache.
>From my experiences with modules (not service programs, maybe someone else
could provide the answer for them), in modules, I had to control the
opening and closings of a file (USROPN keyword on FSPECS).   If you have
the USROPN keyword on the display file, make sure that the display file is
being closed when you leave the service program.

If you try to compile a module without explicitly  controlling the files,
the module will compile, however, you will compile with severity of 10
(well, that also depends on your compile level).
You will receive the following message in the compile listing...

*RNF7534 10      1 Files should be closed explicitly when NOMAIN is
                   the Control specification.

If you go the route of controlling the opening and closing of the display
file... At service program begin...

If not %Open(DISPLAYFILE);

When Leaving...

Michael Schutte

             "Lim Hock-Chai"
             amobility.com>                                             To
             Sent by:                  "RPG programming on the AS400 /
             rpg400-l-bounces+         iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             michael_schutte=b                                          cc
             nge.com                                               Subject
                                       RE: Assume keyword on display file
                                       the is used by service program
             05/09/2006 09:37
             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /

You got it the first time.
>From our main menu option, I took an option to execute PROGRAMA and
press a key to pop the window that is in the service program.  The
ASSUME and OVERLAY work correctly, with the PROGRAMA as the background.
After exit PRORGAMA, I took another option to execute PROGRAMB and press
a key to pop the same window, the window pop up with PROGRAMA

Somehow the pop up window is using the background of the previous
overlay.  Strange.