Darren,
        Sorry, I did not clearly read your message in regards to the
VALUE, CONST and pointers.  I reread the manual and I know see your
confusion between the two in regards to pointers.  Both states that the
value passed will not be modified from the caller's point of view.    I
think the difference is that VALUE passes the pointer address and that
the caller will not return a different pointer address, but it still
allows you to modify memory.

        Since, CONST has the authority to create a temporary variable
(or pointer) passing a pointer via a pointer is... well... pointless.
You would be modifying a different memory location that will then be
discarded after the call.  SO, CONST says make the caller's value read
only and allow them to pass any similar sized value to this parameter
and the compiler will make up the difference by padding.  It can create
a temporary variable at compile time since it can identify the size of
the variable/constant being passed.  If the variable being passed is
exactly the same, then I think it just uses the address of that
variable.   Also, you need to consider the read only aspect.  Why would
you want the compiler to allow you to have the possibility to modify
read only memory?

        This is how I understand pointers in the context of VALUE and
CONST.

Thank you,
Matt Tyler
WinCo Foods, LLC