That is kind of what I though it would happen.  However, we are
encountering some problems where when client program ended abnormally
without calling close() api, the server seems to be hanging on to the
connection.  When we try to restart the client program we get the host
refuses connection error.  We normally end up have to call the admin to
clear the port to be able to reconnect again.

The server won't allow more connections because ONE CLIENT didn't call the close() API? Sounds like a very poorly written server program.

A well-written server program won't rely on the client to behave in a particular way. It sure shouldn't suspend all operations just because one client didn't call the close() API. Even if that's considered a "malfunction" on the client side, the server should still recover and continue it's operations smoothly.

If the server doesn't do that, then what would happen when someone deliberately writes a client program just to bring the server down? This sort of attack is called a "denial of service" attack (or "DOS attack") and is very common. The only fix is to make the server handle the attack gracefully so some script-kiddie can't bring the system down.

I'd report this as a bug to whomever is running the server. Tell them there's something very wrong with their server if a client program (even if it's not written correctly) can bring the server down. If necessary, explain what I just said about DOS attacks. They need to fix their code.