Hi Booth,

<snip>
I suppose one could refine the technique and copy the old External Switches concept, where there were 3 choices: 0, 1, or X. X meant unchanged. So in your example:

if condition;
  functionKeys = 'XXXX0XXXXXX0XXXXXXXXXXXX';
endif;

could be used
</snip>

I guess that would be better than the original idea. But nothing could be worse. :-)

(You'd probably have to encapsulate it in a subprocedure and pass the 24-byte indicator "mask".)

Say we implement this 24-byte super-function key and all is in place and working:

Now, imagine a programmer coming along in a couple of years, and him/her being told to add a new function key to perfrom some new processing:

Normally s/he would add it in the DDS, add it in the indds, put some code in conditioned on it being set on, and some reset/initialisation code.

Not is this shop! In this shop you have to go and check EVERY SINGLE eval of functionKeys to see whether you now need to put a '1' where there used to be a '0'! You then need to make the changes and re-test every other function to ensure you haven't broken something else. How unbelievably difficult would that be in a complicated order entry program? The idea of forcing all function key state indicators to be inextricably tied to all other function key state indicators is throwing away the very granularity/independence gained by putting the function keys on different indicators in the first place.

Madness! I just love it! It gets better the more I think about it! :-)

Next we could create keyboards with one-long super-function key and the users can select different functions by pressing it in morse code. :-)

Cheers

Larry Ducie