I used what Alan Shore replied with except i used overlay (field:*Next)
instead of specifying the starting pos

I thought you were using an array of data structures? Didn't you say that, or did I dream it? Must be the latter. SORTA is very easy to use on an "overlay array", as Alan pointed out.

I don't understand why that would yield the results that you posted, though! I tested your claim by running the following code:

     D                 ds
     D myArray                             dim(7)
     D   Field1                       5    overlay(myArray:*NEXT)
     D   Field2                       5s 0 overlay(myArray:*NEXT)
     D   Field3                       5    overlay(myArray:*NEXT)

     D x               s             10I 0

      /free

          Field2(1) = 6;
          Field2(2) = 0;
          Field2(3) = -4;
          Field2(4) = 4;
          Field2(5) = -2;
          Field2(6) = 1;
          Field2(7) = -7;

          sorta Field2;

          for x = 1 to %elem(field2);
               dsply ( %char(x) + ': ' + %char(Field2(x)) );
          endfor;

          *inlr = *on;

      /end-free

When I run this, it gives me -7,-4,-2,0,1,4,6, as you'd expect. But when you posted your results, the negative numbers weren't in the right order. So, why does mine work, and yours not?

Maybe a PTF issue?