That's it. Now I get it *light bulb turns on*

SETGT is positioning the file to EOF, and READPE is working, but I am basing
my test on %FOUND, which is not touched by READPE. If I, as you say, base my
test on %EOF, then the decision structure will be based no the READPE.

I changed the code to:

Dou Not %Error;
SetGT(E) (Family:Member) MmoRec;
If %Error;
ExSR FileError;
EndIf;

ReadPE(E) (Family:Member) MmoRec M;
If %Error;
ExSR FileError;
EndIf;

If %EOF(CMmemo);
Mo.Mmseq#=1;
Else;
Mo.Mmseq#=M.Mmseq#+1;
EndIf;

Write(E) MmoRec Mo;
EndDo;

Thanks to all that helped. Hmmm... That makes me think. Shouldn't READPE set
a %BOF function -- because it's at the beg.... <--- Proof I think too hard
about stuff ;-)