I need to be able to define a data structure array which has both standard
subfields and nested data structures inside of it and is dimensioned with
up to 1000 elements.  I also need to be able to take advantage of the
OVERLAY keywoard and using SORTA so that I can sort on any one of the
standard subfields and keep the entire "row" of data together.

Here's how I want to be able to code it:

     d Stats           ds
     d   Active                       9  0 inz(0)
     d   Assigned                     9  0 inz(0)
     d   Completed                    9  0 inz(0)

     d                 ds
     d LMSIdx                       121    dim(1000) ascend
     d   Region                       3  0 overlay(LMSIdx:1) inz(999)
     d   Area                         3  0 overlay(LMSIdx:*next) inz(999)
     d   Unit                         6  0 overlay(LMSIdx:*next)
inz(999999)
     d   RAU                         12  0 overlay(LMSIdx:1)
     d   Status                       1    overlay(LMSIdx:*next) inz(' ')
     d   CurPer                            likeds(Stats)
overlay(LMSIdx:*next)
     d   Roll90                            likeds(Stats)
overlay(LMSIdx:*next)
     d   YTD                               likeds(Stats)
overlay(LMSIdx:*next)
     d   Roll12                            likeds(Stats)
overlay(LMSIdx:*next)

If I compile this, I'll get an error saying LIKEDS not allowed with data
structure not qualified.  So if qualify it like this:
     d LMSds           ds           121    qualified
     d LMSIdx                       121    dim(1000) ascend
Then I get all sorts of errors like:
RNF7301: Position (1-121000) of subfield LMSIDX in data structure LMSDS is
greater than length of data structure (121).

I don't think I want the data structure to be addressed horizontally (1-121
is the first element, 122-242 is the second and so on).  Am I missing
something here?

Thanks,

Ben Pforsich
Programmer Analyst