 >> So the clauses about code being sample code ........... blah, blah,
blah, are worthless clauses and you can still sue the writers?  Interesting.

Nope - not what I meant Rob.  I have no doubt that that holds firm.

It relates to my bringing sample programs to the project which get
incorporated in the book and then somebody later sues IBM - claiming that
they were their proprietary material.

It is admittedly an unlikely scenario, but while working with IBM I was
involved in a number of legal cases where people with little or no
foundation sued IBM "just because".  We used to joke that one particular
iSeries software vendor funded their R&D by suing IBM every couple of years
and then settling out of court.

IBM like most large corporations will often be sued on the off-chance that
they will settle because it will be cheaper than fighting the case.  IBM
will fight for long enough to force you to spend a bunch of bucks so that
the truly opportunistic cases don't pop up daily, but in the end it all
"goes away".  I can't afford to subsidize IBM in the event that somebody
decides they need R&D funding!

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com